In order of appearance (including Enter the Matrix and The Animatrix):
- Captain Morpheus, Neo, Trinity
M1: Tank (operator), Cypher (betrayal), Mouse (created woman in red dress), Dozer (Tank's big brother), Switch (white clothes),
Apoc ("I hope the Oracle gave you some good news"). Tank and Dozer were both born in Zion, thus their "Earthly" names.
M2 & M3: Link (operator)
- Captain Thadeus, Jue (from Animatrix episode "Final Flight of the Osiris")
- Captain Niobe, Ghost (Niobe's sidekick in Enter the Matrix), Sparks (pessimistic and helpless operator in
Enter the Matrix). Neo & Trinity take the Logos to Machine City in M3.
- Captain Soren, Jax (operator), Axel, Vector, and Binary
In Enter the Matrix, the Vigilant crew is rescued from Agents by Niobe and Ghost. Soren expresses appreciation for
that rescue during ETM, before the rebel meeting begins. Soren volunteers to help Neo reach the Source in M2, and he and his crew are killed by a
sentinel bomb while they are jacked into the Matrix.
Caduceus - Captain Ballard, Malachi and Bane / Bane-Smith. Captain Ballard agrees to wait for word from the Oracle for 48 hours on
behalf of Morpheus at the beginning of M2.
(referred to as Hammer) - Captain Roland (pessimistic captain who was against letting Neo take the Logos to machine city in M3), Colt (first
mate), AK (operator), Maggie (medic killed by Bane-Smith) and Mauser. Niobe pilots the Hammer through a mechanical line back to Zion in M3.
People in Zion (Zionists)
- The main counselor on the Zion Council who cleared the Nebuchadnezzar for takeoff against Commander Lock's
- Commander of the Zion military who doesn't believe in prophecies. He was together with Niobe in the first two
movies, but by the end of M3, Niobe had gravitated back to her old lover, Morpheus. He is derogatively called "Deadbolt" behind his back because
of his stubborness (Captain Ballard refers to him this way in the meeting at the beginning of M2).
- The leader of the APU squadron who is the last one standing against the sentinel attack. He also goes with
Commander Lock's lieutenant to "keep the peace" when they bring Morpheus to Commander Lock.
- Real name is Michael Karl Popper, the kid who is the only known case of "self-substantiation" (self-ejection) from the
Matrix, due to his unshakeable belief that Neo would save him. In Zion, the Kid operates Captain Mifune's APU in order to open the gate for the
- Link's wife, and also the sister of Tank and Dozer. Zee helps the Kid open the gate for the Hammer.
01 (Zero One) - Machine City (referred to on this website as "Machine City" since that is what the movies call it).
Zion - People City, four kilometers below the Earth's surface. Residents are called Zionists.
- In computer terminology, hidden access to a system, usually not detectable by system administrators. The backdoors of the
Matrix are not only hidden access to parts of the Matrix, but the doors are literal representations of the "backdoor" term.
- The train station Neo wakes up in at the beginning of M3, operated by the Trainman.
- The Merovingian's underground club.
- The Merovingian's restaurant (French for "The True").
- Stands for Armored Personnel Unit, the giant robots that humans use to defend Zion.
Broadcast Depth - The minimum distance from Machine City required to wirelessly hack into the Matrix.
Deus Ex Machina
- the "boss" machine that Neo negotiates with at the end of M3.
- A "land phone line" within the Matrix that is used by Matrix hackers (such as Tank and Link) in order to broadcast their
signals to and from the Matrix. Redpill hackers cannot enter or exit the Matrix without reaching a hard line.
- The continuous encrypted Matrix signal broadcasted from Machine City.
- A person who is in the process of questioning the reality of the Matrix (a redpill candidate). Potentials we see are
children in the Oracle's living room. Mr. Anderson was a Potential before actually taking the red pill.
(Residual Self Image) - The "mental projection of one's digital self" (using Morpheus's description), or the appearance a person or
program gives to themselves inside of a computer-generated virtual reality.
- A squid-like machine designed to attack human ships.
- The brilliant writers and directors of the Matrix trilogy.
Chronology of Story (Hovercraft Point of View)
M1 - Nebuchadnezzar rescues Neo from drowning, evades sentinels, broadcasts into the Matrix and finally EMPs sentinels.
Animatrix - Osiris picks up sentinel army and sends message to Zion via a P.O. Box drop.
ETM - Logos broadcasts into the Matrix to obtain Osiris's message.
ETM - Axel (Vigilant) is captured by Agents just before meeting that begins M2. Logos (Niobe/Ghost) rescues Axel before
ETM - Logos broadcasts Osiris transmission to Commander Lock, who orders Logos to head the recall of all ships.
M2 - Logos calls for meeting with all other ships: Nebuchadnezzar, Vigilant, Caduceus, Hammer, Gnosis, Icarus, Novalis
M2 - Caduceus agrees to stay for 36 hours to await contact from the Oracle. Other ships return to Zion (including
Nebuchadnezzar since it needs recharging).
M2 - Caduceus is contacted by the Oracle, and Malachi returns to the Caduceus world with a disk requesting that Neo meet the
Oracle in the park. Bane is taken over by Smith before returning to the Caduceus.
M2 - Caduceus returns to Zion to deliver disk to Neo. Nebuchadnezzar leaves Zion to meet the Oracle via approval from
ETM - Commander Lock announces plans to send all available hovercrafts to a surprise attack against the sentinels - all ships
except the Logos, because Commander Lock can't bear to lose Niobe (he convinced the Council that the Logos's EMP would be too weak to be effective
against sentinels even though it's not true).
M2 - After extended absence of the Nebuchadnezzar, Council asks for volunteers to find the Nebuchadnezzar. Vigilant volunteers
(presumably because Soren wants to help Morpheus just as Niobe helped Soren), and Logos volunteers (because Niobe is angry at Lock and also because
she's starting to realize she still loves Morpheus). Commander Lock thinks the Council is insane because the dock will have no hovercrafts.
M2 - Vigilant and Logos leave. Logos rescues Nebuchadnezzar (Morpheus) from freeway chase.
M2 - All other ships leave Zion to execute surprise attack against sentinels.
M2 - Nebuchadnezzar, Logos and Vigilant execute plan to get the One to the Source. Vigilant is destroyed by a sentinel bomb
(Axel, who has a knee brace in the real world because of an injury to his leg while in the Matrix, falls when crossing a catwalk, which kills Jax,
the operator, just before the bomb goes off).
ETM - Niobe sees the Oracle before getting out of the Matrix.
M2 - Sentinels (which are crawling everywhere) find the Nebuchadnezzar as well as the Logos.
ETM - The Logos fights the sentinels off since it is the fastest ship in the Zion fleet, eventually killing all the sentinels
with an EMP and getting stranded in uncharted territory.
M2 - The Nebuchadnezzar is destroyed by a sentinel bomb. Neo destroys sentinels and his consciousness is placed into Mobil
ETM - Bane-Smith kills Caduceus crew and sabotages attack plan against sentinels with EMP. All ships are affected and
destroyed except the Hammer, which rescues Bane.
M2 - Hammer rescues Logos ship and Nebuchadnezzar crew. Hammer and Logos are the only two remaining ships.
M3 - Neo, Trinity and Bane-Smith take Niobe's Logos (the lightest ship) to Machine City.
M3 - Niobe, Morpheus, Link, Roland, Sparks, Maggie and others take the Hammer (which has a "fat ass" in Niobe's words) back
to Zion, with Niobe piloting (the best pilot in the fleet). Hammer crashes through Zion gate and sets off EMP in the dock.